Monday, May 11, 2009

fathom

Okay, so I'm Kasumi, from Japan. But I'm learning Chinese language in China. After this session, I'll be back to China to graduate. Nice to meet you guys! =)))

And my word is from a novel.

"The second consisting of auditorium, meeting room, and even guest room, whose use I could never fathom."

I think in this sentence, this word is used as meaning of 'comprehend'.


Word Family: fathomable (adj.), fathomer (n.), fathom (n.)


Def:
-noun
1. a linear unit of measurement (equal to 6 feet) for water depth
2. (mining) a unit of volume (equal to 6 cubic feet) used in measuring bodies of ore

-verb
1. come to understand [syn: penetrate]
2. measure the depth of (a body of water) with a sounding line


Syn: accept, comprehend, penetrate, grasp, see

2 comments:

JuliaD said...

Great! I think we often use "fathom" in negative sentences like: "I just can't fathom what this means." It's great that you're reading a novel in English!

Anonymous said...

I love this word - fathom - although it's a bit hard for me to pronounce it.